I haven't a clue what the cause of the fire but according to the National Fire Protection Association, a residential fire occurred every 76 seconds in the U.S. during 2007. Prevent a common mishap from turning into a major disaster by following these basic steps:
Detect smoke and carbon monoxide by keeping an alarm in every room.
Maintain alarms by changing the batteries every six months and testing them weekly.
Replace smoke alarms every 10 years and carbon monoxide alarms every five years.
Keep fire extinguishers in trouble areas, such as the kitchen and garage.
Plan escape routes out of the house and practice using them with the whole family.
It's easy to think "oh, that'll never happen to me" but unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.